MicroMentor is an initiative of Mercy Corps, a non-profit, humanitarian agency ("MicroMentor"). MicroMentor's mission is to help small businesses grow faster and employ more people by making it easy to be a mentor, find a mentor, and build a business.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you should contact our privacy staff at email@example.com.
A. The Information We Collect and How We Use It
When you register with MicroMentor and create a user profile to participate in MicroMentor's programs, you provide us with certain personal and business information, such as your name, your email address, your telephone number, your postal code, your group or company affiliations, and your password.
If you choose to create an entrepreneur profile on MicroMentor, certain profile information will be collected by the Website. This may include your name, business name, primary industry, business website, start date of business, general business description, business street address, annual business revenue, number of employees, household size, household income, and additional information you provide when you register with MicroMentor.
If you choose to create a mentor profile on MicroMentor, certain profile information will be collected by the Website. This may include your name, city of residence, position or title, company name, industry, areas of expertise, a description of business expertise, years of ownership experience, years of management experience, and additional information you provide when you register with MicroMentor.
In addition, MicroMentor also collects demographic information including, but not limited to, your birth year, gender, ethnicity, country of origin, language(s) spoken, any disabilities the mentor or mentee has, and any other personal or preference information that you provide to us.
When you access the Website, we collect your IP address, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track movements in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. Information such as your IP address is not linked to personally identifiable information. This information is gathered for all Website users.
By sending communications to other users (including, but not limited to, mentor/mentee requests), you consent to MicroMentor storing the conversations you have with other users on its servers owned or controlled by us. You understand that even if you delete a conversation you have with another user, that user may also be able to save it. You further agree that we may retain, use, and scan copies of your conversations for a limited time solely to filter spam, detect viruses, test and improve our messaging services, and to deliver personalized features to you.
By registering with MicroMentor, you are permitted to create a personal profile, form relationships with other users, send messages to other registered users, perform searches and queries, and join groups and social networks.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our Website, we will ask you for information needed to send the invitation, such as your friend's email address. We will send your friend an email with your name listed in the invitation inviting him or her to visit the site. MicroMentor stores this information to send invitations, to allow you to see invitations or referrals you have sent, and to track the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove this information from our database.
MicroMentor uses the information you provide and information we collect in numerous ways such as:
- To match you with either a mentor or a mentee. Once a match is made, your name, email address, phone number (optional) and the URL of your public MicroMentor profile and associated content will be supplied to the person you have been matched with.
- To communicate with you regarding our services, the mentoring process, and upcoming MicroMentor events or initiatives.
- To evaluate and improve the MicroMentor services and the Website and offer personalized features.
- We will also use non-identifiable, aggregate information to guide our program efforts and report to funders, stakeholders and external partners.
- With your explicit permission, we may use your personal details to promote MicroMentor. You will be contacted before any release of such information for MicroMentor's promotional purposes, and you may withdraw any permission that you may grant at any time.
By using MicroMentor, you are consenting to have your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.
B. Display of Information Obtained by MicroMentor
If you choose to create a profile on MicroMentor, certain profile information will be collected and displayed publicly on the Website. This will include your name, the city and state where you live, and your membership with a group or company.
If you choose to create an entrepreneur profile on MicroMentor, certain profile information will be collected and displayed publicly on the Website. This may include your name, city of residence, membership with a group or company, a photograph you provide, business name, industry, business website, start date of business, general business description, and additional information you provide when you register with MicroMentor.
If you choose to create a mentor profile on MicroMentor, certain profile information will be collected and displayed publicly on the Website. This may include your name, city of residence, a photograph you provide, your position or title, company name, industry, areas of expertise, a description of business expertise, years of ownership experience, years of management experience, and additional information you provide when you register with MicroMentor.
Also, profile information you submit to MicroMentor may be made available to third party search engines. This is primarily so potential mentors or mentees can find you and send a mentor request or an offer for mentoring advice. People who see your name in searches will be able to access your profile information by clicking on your name or profile picture thumbnail.
When you use the Website, certain information you post or share, such as answers to questions, messages, photos or other information, may be shared with other users. All such sharing of information is done at your own risk. Please keep in mind that if you disclose personal information in your profile or when posting comments, messages, photos or other items, this information may become publicly available.
MicroMentor may provide information in your profile without identifying you as an individual to third parties. We may do this for purposes such as personalizing advertisements and promotions.
C. Sharing and Disclosing Your Information
MicroMentor shares and discloses your information with third parties (i) to develop and offer the services, (ii) with your consent, (iii) as legally required or (iv) as described below:
- If, when you register with MicroMentor, you identify yourself as a member of a group or corporation that is affiliated with or has a relationship with MicroMentor, MicroMentor may provide that group or corporation with individual non-anonymous reports, that may include any or all of your profile data, detailing your use of the Website and any feedback you or your matches have reported to MicroMentor regarding your mentoring relationships and business outcomes. The group or company may use this information for the purposes of facilitating the MicroMentor program, measuring the activity and evaluating the outcomes of their participants in MicroMentor, and promoting MicroMentor and the services the organization provides to its members.
- MicroMentor may provide reports containing aggregated, anonymous information to third party entities including but not limited to groups, companies or organizations that MicroMentor may have a relationship with.
- In order to promote and notify prospective users of the volunteer opportunities available on the Website, as well as mentoring opportunities, some features of your profile may be exported to Third Party Sites that promote small business development and/or volunteerism, and social networks that cater to small business owners and business professionals. Such features that may be exported to and displayed on such Third Party Sites include but are not limited to your name, picture, industry, business name, experience needed, city and state of business, mentoring request summary, mentoring request expertise, profile URL and mentoring request URL.
- MicroMentor may provide information to certain third party companies which we may contract to perform services to you on our behalf. These services may include postal and e-mail delivery, customer relationship management, customer service, development and research, data analysis, fraud protection, and payment processing (e.g., through PayPal or a similar service which collects and processes donations on our behalf). The third parties we contract with for the provision of these services will be permitted to obtain only such personal information as they require to deliver the services and only use such information for their provision of the applicable services to us.
D. Communications from the Site
Users will occasionally receive information on MicroMentor services, messages regarding participation in MicroMentor, and newsletters. Users cannot opt out of certain communications that are necessary for them to receive in order to participate in MicroMentor. Users who have deactivated their accounts can opt-out of these mailings.
E. Customer Service
We communicate with users to provide requested services and in regards to issues relating to their account. We reply via email, regular mail or phone, depending on the nature of the communication.
By registering or otherwise agreeing, users agree to receiving communications from MicroMentor. Users may 'opt-out' of receiving further marketing communications by replying to Support@MicroMentor.org with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line. There may be up to a seven-day delay in manually processed requests. To deactivate your account on the Website, send an email to email@example.com with "Deactivate" in the subject line.
This Website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that MicroMentor is not responsible for the privacy or other practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Website.
From time-to-time, we request information from users via surveys. The requested information may include contact information (such as name and email address) or may be linked to your MicroMentor account that already holds this information. Contact information may be used to follow up on the survey. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this Website and MicroMentor's programs. Users' personally identifiable information obtained through such surveys is not shared with third parties unless we give prior notice and choice. Though we may use an intermediary to conduct these surveys, they may not use users' personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes.
MicroMentor occasionally asks participants to submit references to us before being accepted into the program. MicroMentor stores this information for the sole purpose of conducting reference checks. The reference may contact MicroMentor at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the removal of this information from our database.
K. Correcting/Updating/Deleting/Deactivating Personal Information
If a user's personally identifiable information changes, or if a user no longer desires our service, we provide a way to correct, update or delete/deactivate users' personally identifiable information. This can be done by emailing us at email@example.com.
L. Notification of Changes
If, however, we are going to use users' personally identifiable information (i.e. name) in a manner different from that stated at the time of collection, we will notify users via email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their personal information in this different manner. However, if users have opted out of all communications, or deleted/deactivated their account, then they will not be contacted, nor will their personal information be used in this new manner.
Mercy Corps - MicroMentor
PO Box 2669
Portland, OR 97208-2669